Friday, September 18, 2009

Two nights, two night swims!

Swimming in the dark.
There is something about it that is scary and there is a point where fear becomes irrelevant because "it" is a thing you have to get through. Fear gets in the way of the thing that need to be done.
Soooo...last night I was very lucky to have Beth Weber kayak for me! We put glow sticks on the kayak and I put a glow necklace on her. I like the kayaker's torso right at my side, that keeps me in a place of comfort. I need to figure out a better feed delivery system because the 16oz. screw top water bottles are awkward. I may hit the dollar store tomorrow and see what I can find...
We went about 2.3 miles last night:
This evening I met up with Ray Meltvedt. He had on a glow necklace and I had bracelets and a glow stick pinned to my back. We swam straight out and I swam right into the buoy! (clang!!!)
That felt stupid, but at least didn't hurt much! We swam all the way to the rocks but a little less distance, since we left out at the tower. It was a lot harder to spot Ray with the necklace and I had to do some headup swimming to spot him a couple of times.
He offered to swim straight out from the buoy so I could get some of the really dark training in that I should do. I postponed for next week when we have a kayak (my new security blanket) to go out with us.
I am so very grateful to Ray and Beth for helping me get some of the nighttime kinks out!

No comments:

Post a Comment