Thursday, August 20, 2009

some kind of training...



Yesterday morning I went out at CDM with some friends and swam 3 box laps at 6:15am:

I went home and had 3 packets of Oatmeal and some coffee and left from Oak Street at 10am to Crescent Bay (had some Gu) and back to Oak Street at 12:00.
The conditions were really flat and I saw 2 small leopard sharks, a bunch of rays, Garibaldi & schools of fish. I had 16 oz of Cytomax and a banana and left out again at 12:05.
The wind had picked up and I could tell I was swimming into a choppy current. The Dive website said the water was 70F which worried me a little because it felt more like 65F. The water was not as clear but I still saw quite a few Garibaldi. I got to Crescent bay at 1:10 and had some more Gu. I chatted with a standup paddle board girl who said her boyfriend wants to do the Catalina paddleboard race! Right before I got back to Oak I saw a dark grey shark on the bottom of the water about my length (5'5"). The lifegaurds said that it was a Horn Shark. I'll have to look that up. I got in at 2:15 and had another 16oz of Cytomax, but my stomach was upset so I decided no solid food. I went out at 2:20 and swam a little past Main Beach and back.
I could tell the current was fairly strong because the kelp I swam over was being pulled south at about a 30degree angle. At least the swim back was nice.
I got the sunscreen and the Vaseline right this time but my stomach was upset and I threw up when I got home. I think it was the Gu and salt water. Maybe I was a little dehydrated too...
I am going to have to start swimming with the "crack bottle".

Next swim is a 10K (6 miles) with friends CDM Crystal Cove and Back this Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment