Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Checklist

I got a concerned call from Forrest Nelson last Sunday with a list of suggestions; a checklist of things I need to accomplish and skills I need to get comfortable with prior to my swim.

-6, 8 10 hour swims
-More night swimming
-Feeding off a kayak
-Swimming with a kayak in the dark (sighting off a glowstick)
-Feeding off a kayak in the dark

This week I'll need to do a 6 hour swim and eventually work my way up to a 10 hour swim. I think I can pull an 8 hour ocean swim off (in 4x2hour blocks) but I think I will do the 10 in the pool. The ocean gets to me when I am all by myself and I don't think I can do a 10 as a solitary thing (I think I can do an 8). He recommended having a gallon of double strength feeding solution to add to warm water in case I need a warm feed (mixed w/ hot water). Also need to do more dark swims and practice feeding off a kayak and feeding off a kayak in the dark. I am going to hit up my kayaking friend on Beverly for that. Also just need to get in more dark swims. Jen's training partner "Uncle Dan" had done no night training and consequently got motion sick while swimming in the dark (just sighting off glow sticks and the boat). I wonder how I will do?
I wasn't sure if he was trying to talk me out of it or not. I don't think so...still I am scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment