Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Projectile Vomit practice????

I got an email from Forrest this morning about a swimmer making an EC attempt:

...swimmer made an attempt this month and wrote this recap: "got violently sea sick, could not stop wretching, pulled ligaments in my back while vomiting, zapped all my energy after 30 mins of it, had to give up at 3 hours, just treading water being sick with nothing left to come up"

Who's to say why this happened. Motion illness? Wrong fuel? Bad meal the day before? Stress? Boat ride to the start? Boat fumes during that ride?

But, as we discussed, that's why you practice. You actually want a training swim to go wrong, just so you can recover and gain confidence. Just as you did the other day.... this swimmer had never before been sick in the water and within 3 hours was finished... they hadn't practiced the projectile vomit portion of the swim...

I've gotten sick but not to the point of throwing up, and I went for a couple more hours. I guess I have a lot more to practice...

No comments:

Post a Comment